Saturday 30 July 2016

Your new best friends when you start law school


Don't worry, you're still going to keep all your actual, or imaginary friends. I'm talking about essentials you'll most likely, if not urgently need during your precious law studies. Here are just some of my personal favorite law school essentials -  let's just jump right into it, shall we?!


1. CAFFEINE!
Now, that wasn't obvious at all. But still, if you haven't thought of caffeine at once when I mentioned law school essentials, then I don't know... you might have problem.
Either it's coffee, cappuccino, frappuccino, crappuccino, green or black tea and who knows what else, I guarantee you, sooner or later - you're gonna need it. If you are a night owl and prefer to study at night, it's a must.
Also a quick tip - if you drink coffee every day out of your habit (like me), I recommend you completely stop or at least limit you caffeine intake during summer when you have no lectures, because you've probably built a tolerance. After giving your body a break from caffeine for some time, it will work much better in the beginning when you start drinking it again. It's hard, but it works for me (or maybe it's just a placebo effect, who knows).

2. HIGHLIGHTERS
No shit, Sherlock. There's not much to say. Not only your notes are gonna be pretty and colorful, it's also extremely helpful if you actually know how to highlight and at least try to color code your notes. DO NOT highlight everything, because this defeats it's purpose. Only highlight the most important things (I know, in law pretty much everything is important, he he...). I'm a visual type and I usually remember important information or Latin expressions by color. For example, my definitions are always marked yellow and rules orange. I usually mark important titles pink and important words/expressions green. That way I know immediately where everything is, as soon as I look at my notes. Just try it out and see what works best for you.

3. STICKY NOTES
While I was writing this, I realized I really am a visual type. So, another tip from me... if you have trouble remembering cases, rules, definitions, Latin expressions or even your grocery shop list, go grab some sticky notes, write a rule or whatever you need to remember on one of the each note, then stick 'em around your apartment. I recommend places like your fridge (of course, hehe), your desk, computer, mirrors, maybe even a bottle of wine (credits to my roommate for this one), it has to be somewhere you often look at. Then let the magic do it's work. I personally don't even have to read it anymore, I remember by looking at it so often, then I just recall the picture when I need to remember the information. Smooth!

4. NEARBY LIBRARY
Before I went to law school I NEVER studied at the library, because my optimal study space was always my own room with some good music playing. No need to say, that changed. I have an older colleague who studies law too and he said my apartment is perf, because there's a library nearby. At that time I thought to myself I could never study there and I'm just not the kind of person to be at a public place for 10 straight hours.... WRONG! When you sit there and study, you might get a nervous breakdown or an urge to cry but as soon as you realize there's at least 100 other people around you, feeling exactly the same, it comforts you instantly and gives you some motivation. There's also a reason I never study at  the law library - too quiet! Now, everyone likes to study with no distractions, but there... you get the looks just by coughing or moving your chair closer to the desk. No, thanks, city library it is. (Also, headphones with some chillout or uplifting trance playing are very handy!).

Another reason I prefer studying at the library...

5. ALCOHOL
When you come home after a LONG day, possibly pissed off at everything and everyone around you, you might want to relax before you do anything responsible. A glass of wine, a beer, a shot of schnaps, scotch, whatever floats your boat. You aren't an alcoholic for having a drink once in a while, but don't exaggerate (my advice from personal experience), unless you don't have anything important to do the next day (don't forget, you need to "party" sometimes, too). And now, my ultimate tip for beating anxiety at class - if you're 100% sure you're getting called on the minute professor walks into the room, have a shot before you go to class, you'll be confident, able to speak fluently and have a nice rosy glow to your cheeks! (At your own risk, though *winks*)

I hope you do realize that my last tip was pretty much a joke, so... at your own risk, indeed, if you're brave enough *laughs loudly*

That's pretty much it for me. Of course you're gonna need books and money and more money and whatnot, but these are pretty much obvious. If you have the same favorite law school essentials like me - I love you! (maybe leave out the alcohol)

No comments :

Post a Comment